The CLAT PG Entrance Exam is a national-level entrance exam for admissions to postgraduate (PG) law programmes offered by National Law Universities around the country. CLAT is organized by the Consortium of National Law Universities consisting of the representative universities.
In this article, we have detailed the information related to CLAT PG Entrance Exam eligibility, exam pattern and syllabus of the entrance exam for CLAT PG 2022.
- An LL.B Degree or an equivalent examination with a minimum of Fifty percent (50%) of marks or its equivalent grade in case of candidates belonging to General/OBC/PWD/NRI/PIO/OCI categories and Forty-Five percent (45%) of marks or its equivalent grade in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST categories.
- Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination in April/May 2022 are also eligible to apply.
- No upper age limit is prescribed for appearing in CLAT 2022.
- Tie Breaker Rule: In case of equal marks, the break of tie shall be by the following procedure and order as under:
- Higher age;
- Computerised draw of lots.
Question Paper Format
- Maximum Marks: 120
- Duration of exam: 02:00 Hours
- Multiple-Choice Questions: 120 questions of one mark each
- Negative Marking: 0.25 Mark will be deducted for each wrong answer
Syllabus and Guide
As per the updated pattern of CLAT PG 2022, the exam will feature an emphasis on the comprehension abilities of the students. It shall be of 120 minutes duration, with one section only.
- The Paper would include 120 objective-type questions carrying 1 mark each.
- There shall be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer.
The paper will be based on the mandatory subjects of the undergraduate program and include Constitutional Law, Jurisprudence, Administrative Law, Law of Contract, Torts, Family Law, Criminal Law, Property Law, Company Law, Public International Law, Tax Law, Environmental Law, and Labour & Industrial Law.
In this section of the PG-CLAT 2022, you will be provided extracts from primary legal materials such as important court decisions in various fields of law, statutes or regulations. Each passage will be followed by a series of questions that will require you to demonstrate the:
- Ability to read and comprehend the issues discussed in the passage, as well as any arguments and viewpoints discussed or set out in the passage;
- Awareness of the issues discussed in the passage, as well as of legal issues and facts related to and arising out of the passage and the judgment or statute from which it is extracted;
- Summarise the passage; and
- Ability to apply your knowledge of the fields of law discussed in the passage.
Preparing for the PG-CLAT 2022
As part of your preparations for the PG-CLAT 2022, you should:
- Read and refresh your knowledge of important judgments, and try to discern various issues discussed in such judgments;
- Refresh your knowledge of important constitutional and legislative provisions, particularly those that may have been discussed in recent judgments; it would also be useful to ensure you are aware of historical case law and amendments related to such provisions, so that you have a more complete awareness of such provisions and the issues related to them;